History Of Screw
History of Screw Compressor (Air End)
The principle was established by Mr. Krigar of Germany in 1878. It was first commercialized by SRM of Sweden in 1934. In our nation, Kyungwon Machinery began asembly production in 1980s, Screw compressor product was first launched in Korea during 1986 according to exclusive tehnical agreement with SRM of Sweden. Kyungwon is contributing to reinforcement of international competitiveness and development of peripheral devices based on improvement in domestic technology,
1935 ~ 1945
- SRM conducted manufacturing on 70 screw compressors
- Rotor diameter: 50~530mm
- Combination of rotor lobe: 3x3, 3x4, 4x6, 5x7
- Basic theory on dry-running screw compressor was established and design parameters were determined
- Female rotor groove was the asymmetric type
- Despite the WorldWar II, SRM sign. the license agreement with several companies on this compressor type ("Lysholm Compressor")
- Early pilot products were successful, but it was difficult to satisfy the degree of precision required for processing of rotors to guarantee trouble-free operation. The compressors were determined to be not practical, and development of screw airend was temporarily terminated by the WorldWar II.
1947 ~ 1950
- 25 compressors (rotor diameter: 110~400mm, lobe combination: 3x4, 3x5, 4x4, 5x7, 4x6) were manufactured a. tested to determine performance and characteristics of the dry compressor having 'Symmetric Circular Profile'
- SRM presented many reports in 1951 based on the result of the above test.
1. Report 839/K-74: "Calculation of the characteristics of the screw compressor
2. Report 841/K-75: 'Standardization of screw compressor"
3. Report 847/K-80 'Regarding available tooling machines (American & European)
- SRM additionally introduced standard size compressor (SRM Report 877/K-94)
-Diameter of 6 rotors: 63, 100, 250, 400, 630
-Lobo combination: 4x6
-The ratio of length to diameter: 0.9, 1.5
- J. Hoiroyd & Co. develop. rotor milling machine and supplied it to HowdenCanpany of England (dias. 125, 160, 200 a. 250mm f0r processing)
- Howden greatly contributed to the development of oil flooded compressor with SRM later on.
- GHH-RAND start to manufacture SF type screw airend. (oil-free type in early stage) through technical affiliation with SRM
1953 ~ 1958
- Oil injection screw compressor was first applied to refrigeration.
- With an attempt to develop an oil injection screw compressor used in refrigeration, "slide valve" that can perform stepless capacity control was installed on the compressor. Several companies in the refrigeration field entered into license agreement with SRM, producing about 1,000 refrigeration screw compressors.
- Mr Lars Schibbye (Chief Engineer of SRM in 195) developed asymmetric rotor profile, and a commercialized Product was Introduced by SULLAIR of the United States in 1969.
- SRM developed an asymmetric profile targeting stationary air compressor market (Which does not have the defect of Lysholm asymmetrical profile abolished by the end of the 1940s)
- Specific power consumption was reduced by 10~ 5% compared to the symmetric profile.
- Screw compressor appeared in r.ipr.along compressor market that had been dominating the market until the 1960s.
- Demand for small sized screw compressor(dua 63~27mm) with SRM asymmetric profile continued to increase.
- GHH-RAND developed CF type airend (5x6 profile, asymmetric, a different diameter of two rotors)
- SRM introduced D-PROFILE.
- Various screw profiles were developed and announced